Re: [linux-audio-user] another report HDSP 9652/jack/ardour/hdspmixer

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] another report HDSP 9652/jack/ardour/hdspmixer
From: Aaron Trumm (aaron_AT_nquit.com)
Date: Thu Oct 02 2003 - 20:47:32 EEST

> (In the above example, since the hardware input group is 0-25, and the
> software group (output from Ardour, input to HDSP 9652) is 26-51, I think
> you are routing the second playback channel to the first ADAT output
> channel. It works, but I'm not sure you meant to do that.

I think I probably typo'd in the email, but not on the actual command... :)

> In other threads (not this one) I've mentioned that I made headway faster
> with this card by focusing on input signals before output signals. On the
> HDSP 9652 the 26 inputs you see in hdspmixer in the top line are the
inputs.
> Are those working correctly? Can you send data input each of those from
your
> mixer and see meters operating correctly on all 26 inputs? (Or only 24 if
> you don't have some spdif equipment.)

hmmm. yeah. that would be a different tact than I've been taking.

I'm trying to figure what I would do to test this. the only hardware input
I have going to the card is the adat lightpipes coming from the behringer
board. the behringer docs aren't that clear as to how stuff is going out -
is each channel outputting directly out, as if the adat lightpipes are tape
outputs? or what? it gets a little confusing, you can imagine, if the board
is routing things to multiple outputs. I'll have to futz with this to
see...
hmm I guess I could take the lightpipes from my old darwin into the hdsp
card too. this part I can figure out no prob

> Only AFTER all of that works would I bother with Ardour at all. When the
> stuff above works perfectly, then it will take you very little time to get
> Ardour working. If the above stuff doesn't work, Ardour doesn't have a
> chance.

yeah, I feel ya. this make sense. ground up. I guess I keep going back to
ardour because of not knowing exactly how to see anything - are there
supposed to be meters in hdspmixer?

hmmm.

I think the first step is to get hdspmixer 1.3 to compile, which it's not.
this is quite weird. you mentioned hdsp.o - I found it and hdsp.c and
friends in /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/alsa-driver-0.9/something/rme9652 (excuse
inaccurate directory, I'm at a different machine), but I don't know if this
has anything to do with things. I tried moving what is apparently an old
version of hdspmixer out of /usr/bin to /usr/bin/oldhdsp just to get it gone
without actually deleting it, and that didn't effect compiling of 1.3 (I
didn't expect it to)

saving THAT, it seems to me it would be time to skip that and configure the
hdsp with the command line - so I actually expected to see results when I
tried amixer. but you're right, there needs to be a bit of reset happening.
coming dangerously close to the 'ol red hat reinstall trick ;)