Re: Re: [linux-audio-user] Midi Keyboard connect error -- can somebody help me ?

Subject: Re: Re: [linux-audio-user] Midi Keyboard connect error -- can somebody help me ?
From: Frank Barknecht (fbar_AT_footils.org)
Date: Sat Oct 04 2003 - 18:08:24 EEST

Hallo,

hexe_2003_AT_directbox.com hat gesagt: // hexe_2003_AT_directbox.com wrote:
> Well, I thought exactly the same. Maybe I'll try another way ... Do you know
> possibilities to connect a MIDI-keyboard to applications via the OSS-layer ?

For routing OSS or more specific rawmidi devices you need to use
aconnect. and a snd-virmidi virtual midi card.

> Or can I make something wrong with alsa, too ?
> I used 'aconnect 64 65' , where 64 is my External MIDI port and 65 is
> the internal FM synthesizer... .

Basically this is correct. You didn't give full portnames, though.

First you need to find out the correct input ports with "aconnect -i"

$ aconnect -i
client 0: 'System' [type=kernel]
    0 'Timer '
    1 'Announce '
client 64: 'Rawmidi 0 - M Audio Audiophile 24/96 MPU-401' [type=kernel]
    0 'M Audio Audiophile 24/96 MPU-401'

and then the output ports with "aconnect -o". Your FM synth should
show up here. On my box it looks like this:

$ aconnect -o
client 64: 'Rawmidi 0 - M Audio Audiophile 24/96 MPU-401' [type=kernel]
    0 'M Audio Audiophile 24/96 MPU-401'
client 73: 'Emu10k1 WaveTable' [type=kernel]
    0 'Emu10k1 Port 0 '
    1 'Emu10k1 Port 1 '
    2 'Emu10k1 Port 2 '
    3 'Emu10k1 Port 3 '

Now I can route input coming from 64:0 to output 73:0 to use a
keyboard with the SBLive hardware synth with "aconnect 64:0 73:0".

If you use an ALSA sequencer enabled software like Muse or RG4 you
shouldn't need to fuss with aconnect, BTW. Just configure it inside
Muse or RG4.

ciao