Re: [linux-audio-user] M-Audio Revolution, surround sound

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] M-Audio Revolution, surround sound
From: Rick Taylor (ricktaylor_AT_speakeasy.net)
Date: Wed Oct 08 2003 - 10:08:16 EEST

John Bleichert <syborg_AT_earthlink.net> wrote:

>I'm thinking of buying an M-Audio Revolution for a gaming PC, I've had
>great luck with ALSA and my Delta44 in the studio so I'd like to get
>another M-Audio. Is anybody using this card? Does the digital speaker
>output work? What's the word on the current state of surround sound in
>Linux?

 :} About the same as mac or windows... but, you can afford it on linux.

 There are lots of capable and nearly so applications:

http://linux-sound.org/
http://linux.oreillynet.com/pub/a/linux/2000/10/13/oa_intro.html
http://www.oss3d.com/usite/index.html
http://www.openal.org/
http://www.tml.hut.fi/~tilmonen/mustajuuri/

{You can get a motherboard with the ac97 codec for around the same price.}

http://www.linuxhq.com/kernel/v2.4/21/drivers/sound/ac97_codec.c

{...not 24 bit though.}

http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php3?company=Midiman&card=Revolution&chip=Envy24HT&module=ice1724