Re: [linux-audio-user] Re Digital Audio Out on kernel 2.6

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re Digital Audio Out on kernel 2.6
From: Jeremiah Benham (jjbenham_AT_chicagoguitar.com)
Date: Wed Oct 08 2003 - 18:53:22 EEST

On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 04:03:18PM +0100, Q wrote:
> Well thanks.. I would certainly appreciate any help anyone can offer.
> Yes I would have to say I agree with you on the Red Hat thing, although
> I was anxious not to piss off a lot of Red Hat users, particularly as
> this set up did work for sound in Red Hat. But I just couldn't cope with
> the dependency hell of Red Hat or any other RPM based distribution, so I
> started looking for an easy to manage distribution that would let me
> install and unistall software and updates without any of that hassle.
> Gentoo portage was that magic formula and after using it for a short
> while I was permenantly won over. It is a little ironic maybe that the
> easiest to use package management system in the Linux world comes
> included in the hardest to install linux distribution in the Linux
> world. (Slackware is nothing compared to Gentoo...) But oh well there
> you are. The end result is certainly worthwhile. It may have taken me a
> while to get my head around it, but persistance pays dividends and I
> came out of it knowing a lot more about Linux than I could have learned
> any other way.

Red Hat apt-rpm that elimintates the dependency problem. I am not
promoting Red Hat. I just think all distros are really the same once
you learn them and there differences. If that made any sense.

I would first do:

cat /proc/asound/cards

to atleast see if you card is listed before you procede further.

Jeremiah