Re: [linux-audio-user] recording with ecasound

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] recording with ecasound
From: jordan muscott (morsecode_AT_blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: Wed Oct 08 2003 - 23:35:50 EEST

Tommi Sakari Uimonen wrote:

>>Yes, I can also do this with aplay and arecord, however, i was having a
>>few overuns with arecord and so decided to try ecasound instead. My
>>problem is that I don't know how the "-D spdif" or "-D plug:spdif"
>>translates to ecasound flags.
>>

>-i alsa,spdif
>
>for input, if spdif is defined in your .asoundrc
>
>Tommi Uimonen

Ah! Thankyou very much, you lead me to the answer. I haven't got an
.asoundrc set up, but by looking at /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf whilst
trying to set up my asoundrc, I noticed the following:

# some links for easy use
[snip]
pcm.spdif cards.pcm.iec958

so i try:

ecasound -i alsa,pcm.spdif -o test.wav

and I think it works. Now I just need to hope I get better recording
results with this compared to arecord, and that the ****ing dat tapes
that I am trying to make copies of stop their random glitching behavour
:=( .

regards, Jordan.