Re: [linux-audio-user] audiophile 2496 - spdif in

New Message Reply About this list Date view Thread view Subject view Author view Other groups

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] audiophile 2496 - spdif in
From: Benjamin Flaming (lau_AT_solobanjo.com)
Date: Thu Oct 09 2003 - 01:04:34 EEST

On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 03:14:19 -0500
Rick Taylor <ricktaylor_AT_speakeasy.net> wrote:

> Slackware's really tough and it's not going to get a lot easier. It's made for
> folk that *really* know linux/unix, etc... {and masochists}. My suggestion would
> be to either buy or download Redhat, set it up and save the configs for the rest

For the sake of offering an alternative view, I've found Slackware to be a *much* better distro for a hands-on learner like me. I never really got into Linux very deeply until I switched over to Slackware. Believe it or not, I think you have to know *more* in order to use Redhat or Debian for audio. The simple reason is that the other distros introduce so many non-standard behaviors, that I could rarely even complete a simple HOWTO without some cryptic error message popping up. Now that I've switched to Slackware, OTOH, things generally work right from the start. Even Cinelerra, which (according to the web site) is supposed to be difficult to build from source, compiled without complaint and runs without a hitch. Your milage may vary, of course ;)

|)
|)enji

This archive was generated by hypermail 2b28 : Thu Oct 09 2003 - 01:12:27 EEST