RE: AW: [linux-audio-user] ogg player for Windows?

Subject: RE: AW: [linux-audio-user] ogg player for Windows?
From: Mark Knecht (mknecht_AT_controlnet.com)
Date: Fri Oct 10 2003 - 18:00:03 EEST

> You were also suggesting that if we don't provide music in mp3 format we
> are missing out on a huge market.

I don't think I was suggesting that at all, but I'm not clear as to who the
'we' is in your sentence above.

My point was that *if* an individual musician *wants* people to hear his
music, then *he/she* has choices to make. If *he/she* chooses to release
only in .ogg format, then *he/she* lives with the consequences of that
decision. That is *his/her* right.

In the original case, where Tim (I think) stated he'd like to dump mp3s from
his site, but he was worried that people would stop listening, he is simply
stating facts as he sees them and my point is supporting his contention.

I defend your right to choose any format you'd like. I have no problem with
that. Do you have a problem with me choosing mp3s and reaching more people
more easily? Maybe that's the contention here...

> ogg format comes with less political bs than any of the other major file
> formats and if a user can't figure out how to listen to one that's just
> too bad. If you've only got blue chips and the slot machines want red
> chips you either don't play or you go and get red chips right?

As a user, absolutely. As a business man who is paid based on how many
people play on my slot machine, I might want to buy a machine that will
accept both red and blue chips, right? I make more money. I think Tim may
provide both mp3 and oog, but he's saying that 99% of the people out there
listen to the mp3s.

> I wouldn't buy an mp3 anyway and wouldn't sell any music that wasn't at
> least cd quality, so providing mp3's is not a high priority for me.

I won't buy one either.

> One of the ways that Linux audio will appeal to

<ADD> certain, technical </ADD>

> people is by retaining a
> certain amount of exclusivity. That's what makes it cool.

<ADD> for certain types of people. </ADD>

> If we end up
> with millions of people all playing the same cheesey noises with Linux
> apps then we've lost IMO.

I think we are in totally different head spaces. If the next great cheesy
pop star comes from the Linux world to replace <you enter current cheesy pop
starts name here>, and the new cheesy pop star only has music in .ogg
format, will people EVER hear this new cheesy pop star so that *he/she* can
become big and dominate our media? I think not, but you are free to
disagree.

In my mind technology is about making like *easier* and *better* for people,
not more difficult. If, in someone else's mind, life is about making
political statements, then I defend their right to do that. However, few
make a difference in my life, but that's just me. I think you're in a
different place which is cool.

With best regards,
Mark