RE: AW: [linux-audio-user] ogg player for Windows?

Subject: RE: AW: [linux-audio-user] ogg player for Windows?
From: Mark Knecht (mknecht_AT_controlnet.com)
Date: Fri Oct 10 2003 - 20:43:58 EEST

> This is a whole other ballpark when it comes to "commercial" use. I
> work for a public radio station's website and we support 3 formats for
> live streams: RA, MP3 and WMA. WMA has by far the worst sound quality
> but still is the most popular stream.

Isn't this just because it's what Windows Media Player tries to get first,
if the user doesn't ask for anything specific? It's coming out of the GUI
pages in Media Player directly. Users see what looks like a web page
(probably is a web page for all I know) and those web pages, programmed by
M$, are asking for WMA, so that's what most people get.

I think an underlying aspect of this whole conversation is that users do not
know what they are getting, and they frankly really don't care what they are
getting. They just get it in a mindless way, like TV. It ain't perfect, but
it works.

(BTW - Cheers to you for helping support Public Radio in any way, shape or
form. Can you help me figure out why KQED.org will no longer stream audio to
my windows desktop?) Did M$ figure out I use my XP machine to support the
Linux world and decide to cause me problems?) ;-)

> I don't think this will happen, but mp3 wasn't supported in earlier
> Windows OSes almost everone has some kind of Winamp installed now. I'd
> like that to happen with Ogg somehow, too. Winamp coming with ogg
> plugin is a good chance.

Yep, possibly.