Re: [linux-audio-user] That whole mp3 vs. ogg vs. wma vs. yomamma thing

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] That whole mp3 vs. ogg vs. wma vs. yomamma thing
From: Jan Depner (eviltwin69_AT_cableone.net)
Date: Sun Oct 12 2003 - 22:20:29 EEST

On Sun, 2003-10-12 at 13:30, Tim Orford wrote:

> Ron is a shining example to us all. Personally i make
> european pop music which requires a lot more from your
> system than just capturing, editing, and playing back audio
> through a desk + outboard. European music is much more electronic
> than US stuff. It makes me laugh that people in the US even have
> an 'electronica' category.

        Yeah, I can see that. I've never been all that into the electronica
stuff. I'm more of the grab your axe (of choice) and play kind of guy.
Not that I don't appreciate the electronic stuff (when it's good).

> With the exception of vocals, there are no "performances"
> in the conventional sense.

        I have to disagree with that. The way you put together what you
hear/sample; that is, your vision of what you're trying to create *is* a
performance. It may take longer because you do it in pieces but it is
no less relevant than BB King playing a guitar. What I was saying was
that if you took someone with the best equipment in the world and no
musical vision (that would be me trying to make electronica music ;-)
you'd get crap (GIGO). Take someone who knows what they're doing, give
them Linux tools and they'll create something good. My point is that it
isn't the tools that make the "major label" quality it's the
artist/engineer.

Jan