RE: [linux-audio-user] Copyrights on samples

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-user] Copyrights on samples
From: Mark Knecht (mknecht_AT_controlnet.com)
Date: Mon Oct 13 2003 - 23:36:35 EEST

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 12:13:06 +0200
Vincent Touquet <vincent.touquet_AT_pandora.be> wrote:

>On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 11:46:39AM +0200, Atte Andr? Jensen wrote:
>Hi
>Does anyone know if it's legal to:
>* sample the grandpiano of the latest Roland/Korg/Yamaha electric piano
>* give the sample away
>* package it (sf2) and put it on my web site

It's most likely legal if you record them yourself.

On the other hand, instead of just sampling your synth, why not be
adventurous and add some new sounds to the mix. Do some processing and make
the sounds more interesting. Add rhythms to the samples, timed filters,
something more interesting, a bit of your own expression.

I think that will make the work more valuable and more likely to get used.

FYI - I own a whole slew of old synth GigaStudio libraries. While they are
fun and have their uses, they really haven't been the best purchases I made.
Much more interesting and much more used are the sounds that are unique.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Cheers,
Mark