Re: [linux-audio-user] That whole mp3 vs. ogg vs. wma vs. yomamma thing

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] That whole mp3 vs. ogg vs. wma vs. yomamma thing
From: Brian Redfern (bredfern_AT_calarts.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 14 2003 - 00:34:28 EEST

Absolutely, these days the Record industry is more screwed than ever
before in its history, you simply cannot stand a chance of getting signed
unless you're a boy band, or a girl band, basically fake rnb made by
all-singing, all-dancing "fame" type 16 year old kids. i swear to god, if
you're over 16 years old these days you simply won't be signed. A bigger
reason that the industry going under is the focus on the teeny bopper
audience at the expense of any other. There happens to be a huge audience
for creative music here even in the US, but the problem is that the
audiences go to see the established names, many of whom are pushing 60-70
and ignore young, or unknown artists, so those of us with tons of talent
who do creative music simply don't exist to most people, but if you hear
my ripping jazz guitar licks I think you'll see there's just tons and tons
of talented creative musicians who simply can't get gigs or recording
because they're not a "name", but this has nothing to do with the quality
of the music, its all about a small crowd of entertainers and business
people having highjacked our whole culture, and as a creative artist I see
Linux as a means of rebellion, allowing me to make more unique, original
music, not based on the same software and patches that everyone else uses
to make their same-y music.