Re: [linux-audio-user] That whole mp3 vs. ogg vs. wma vs. yomamma thing

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] That whole mp3 vs. ogg vs. wma vs. yomamma thing
From: ricktaylor_AT_speakeasy.net
Date: Wed Oct 15 2003 - 13:24:27 EEST

> From: Mark Knecht [mailto:mknecht_AT_controlnet.com]

> > >opposed> to the watered down, imitative stuff that comes from
> > that side of the
> > >pond.} The> American public has come to value things like depth
> > and quality and
> > >a certain> "earthiness" that you just don't get with "Eurodisco."
> > >
> > >This statement in a week when the Top 10, for the first time in History,
> > >was completely comprised of all Black artists. Yes, our charts, and
> > >apparently our brethren, have gone a different direction.
> >
> > I'm not quite sure what this means.

> > >minutes> on the streets or in some of our backwoods clubs would
> > convince you.}
>
> Sorry. Not clear. I listen a lot to jazz fusion, like John Scofield or John
> McLaughlin, or then a lot of prog rock stuff like Spock's Beard or

 Sorry.

> Conspiracy. None of this is represented on the radio today, really. (In
> reference to your "that whole rock/blues and jazz legacy" comment, which I
> agree with.)

 I meant "core" stuff... like old-school jazz, blues, country... "real" rock ...even classical.

 Are you seeing "legacy" as bad? ...Somehow limiting?

> My unintelligible comment about black artists was only that this week
> everything on the radio is hip hop, rap or what passes taday as R&B, even
> though I have a hard time equatig Beyonce Knowles, no matter how good
> looking or talented she is, with R&B. Nothing on commercially driven radio
> around her has anythign to do with, again, "that whole rock/blues and jazz
> legacy".

 :} Not at all. I haven't believed the label "R&B" since around the end of the original Motown sound.

 I tend to wonder why folk reference past movements that way. {Like Billy Ray Cyrus, or whoever happens to be todays twang pop superstar, calling themselves a "country" singer or whatever...}

> I hope this helps explain my point of view a bit, even if it is out of
> touch.

 :} Not really... These days I think it might be the ideations of the producer that matters. It would seem that some sort of late seventies nostalgia has grasped us by the sensibilities in the past few years.

 Maybe it's a pre-revolutionary sphincter convulsion sort of thing... maybe it's the result of some secretive neo-conservative underground... who knows?