Re: [linux-audio-user] How to check if I have midi connection?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] How to check if I have midi connection?
From: Emiliano Grilli (emillo_AT_libero.it)
Date: Fri Oct 17 2003 - 22:50:21 EEST

venerd́, 17 ottobre 2003 alle 19:12:18, Ketil Thorgersen ha scritto:

> My staudio c-port (envy 24 based 8 channel card analogue + 2 channel
> digital from www.staudio.com with built in midi-interface) works as far
> as audio goes now, but I can't seem to get anything out of the midiports
> even though it seems to be properly recognized. Alsa Patch bay gives me
> a: Rawmidi: 0 - Hoontech SoundTrack Audio DSP24 MPU-401 entry at least
> (actually 2 - one for each midi port), but no matter which I choose in
> rosegarden or any other app, I get no signal in the displays. How do I
> find out if it's working, and how do I troubleshoot. If this is well
> documented somewhere and comprehensible for semidummies, I'd be happy to
> receive a link!

Hi,

I have the same soundcard and similar problems with MIDI. My situation is:
MIDI outs are working, but not MIDI in. I think rosegarden is not the best
app for testing, since I have another MIDI device (SCD70 roland) that works
perfectly in all other apps but here also MIDI in (which is the 3rd device
on the SCD70) doesn't work. You might try muse instead or, to simply test
MIDI outs, pmidi. Returning to the C-Port, I guess ALSA get confused by the
fact that it has 2 outs and 1 in, and in fact I see (aconnect -lo) 2
devices listed as outs _but_ (aconnect -li) also 2 devices listed as ins,
even if the hardware has only 1 midi in. This could be the problem, but
don't trust me because I know nothing about ALSA in his deep. Also excuse
my english which is far more naive that your question ;-)

You can see in the support forum of staudio that me and another guy (Chris
Hardin IIRC) have posed the question, but no answer so far. Maybe we could
unite and ask on the ALSA devel ml instead (but my skills are not so
technical)

> Best regards
> Ketil

Ciao