[linux-audio-user] on ALSA's virmidi module

Subject: [linux-audio-user] on ALSA's virmidi module
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: Sat Oct 18 2003 - 16:28:10 EEST

Greetings:

  I've been working with Tim Thompson's KeyKit, trying to get it to send
its output to a softsynth. I can set a variable for KeyKit that will
select the ALSA rawmidi device with this syntax :

        export ALSA_RAWMIDI_DEVICE=hw:1,0

where hw:1,0 refers to my card1 (the ALSA virmidi module) and its first
device (0). Now when I start KK (and set the Port Enabler to ALSA) I can
route its output to whatever connections are available via aconnect (or
the kaconnect GUI).

  I just wanted to say "Thanks!" to the ALSA developers for the virmidi
module. I've used it with MIDI sequencers running under emulation
systems such as DOSemu and Xsteem, I've used it for the TK707 virtual
drum machine, and now I'm using it with KeyKit. The combination of
TiMidity-as-softsynth (with the Fluid soundfont) and the virmidi module
is a very powerful and flexible system for me, and I just wanted to pass
on a note of appreciation for the ALSA team's work.

  Okay, that's all. We now return to our regularly scheduled programming...

Best regards,

== dp