Re: [linux-audio-user] recent hydrogen / jack / ardour

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] recent hydrogen / jack / ardour
From: Patrick Shirkey (pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com)
Date: Sat Oct 25 2003 - 21:05:55 EEST

Mathias Lundgren wrote:

> Neat, is this one of the latest features? I haven't found it (honestly, I
> haven't looked very hard for it). But doesn't that require one specific
> effect for each channel? I guess it's possible to do it in ardour (one
> jack-channel for each instruments and then using send-effects on them through
> ardour), but I think it's a bit of overkill. I would love to have a couple of
> internal send-channels in hydrogen, so that you can share f.ex. one reverb
> amongst all your drums. Those send effects could just be sent out to a jack
> port, and then connected via f.ex. jack-rack (or even better through ladspa
> effects loaded in hydrogen, but maybe ladcca will solve this issue). Yes,
> there will probably be some overhead mixing and routing the send-outputs, but
> that'll be very little compared to running 5 reverbs.... Zynadd does this in
> a very nice way IMHO. Well, I'm just dreaming... :-)

Recently I have been contemplating the usefulness of making standalone
guis for a few of the really popular LADSPA plugins. I'm sure people
would find them useful but is there really much point to spending the
time on it?

On the other platforms that seems to be the way all the plugins are created.

We now have a complete code base with the jamin (full gui support - not
so easy to strip down) and jackEQ (not so full support but easier to
strip down) projects. It wouldn't be hard to change a few simple things
and recode the guis which is basically what I did for jackEQ.

On one hand I like the idea of having a herd of standalone LADSPA guis
and on the other hand I don't want to waste time on something that is
only marginally more useful than jack-rack or ecamegapedal, etc...

The one thing I am missing now is a complete echo solution. I'm torn
between spending copious amounts of time on ssm trying to understand the
code to get the echo plugin stable enough for my use(among other bugs in
ssm) or refactoring it into a LADSPA plugin and giving it it's own gui.

Decisions, decisions...

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
http://www.boosthardware.com

Being on stage with the band in front of crowds shouting, "Get off! No! We want normal music!", I think that was more like acting than anything I've ever done.

Goldie, 8 Nov, 2002 The Scotsman