Re: [linux-audio-user] Announcing Gnomoradio

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Announcing Gnomoradio
From: iriXx (m_AT_irixx.org)
Date: Sun Oct 26 2003 - 03:13:07 EEST

Frank Barknecht wrote:

hi.

it really *is* about time i got a Copyleftmedia discussion list going
(Copyleftmedia is my website devoted to copyleft licensing of the arts -
and is a supporter and participant in iCommons, the internationalisation
of Creative Commons).

> Well, even the FSF recommends to look at CC for licensing of art. I
> only have a problem with the "non-commercial only" part of some
> licenses (I think, it's only one of the CC licenses), because this
> like "pollutes the environment", that CC also tries to create. CC is
> not only about legal issues, it is also about making sharing possible.
> So even the "no commercial" license explicitly allows distribution in
> non-commercial ways and creates the impression, that it still is a
> free licence, when in fact it isn't anymore.

CC itself doesnt really concern itself with 'free' or 'non-free' - in
fact i dont think you'll see those terms used at all on the website,
certainly not in the 'Free software / Software Libre' sense.

CC is concerned with 'the Commons' - the community of artists and the
community of material created by artists.

this is what it has in common with Free Software - the emphasis on
community. on creating a Commons of material which we can draw from and
share.

CC also wants to be inclusive of all sorts of different efforts towards
making this Commons or community happen. in that sense, while i prefer
to use the GPL-style 'Attribution - Share-Alike' license for my own
works, i am pleased to be able to support non-commercial and public
domain licenses. i know people who feel as strongly about the public
domain (go visit the DMCA_discuss list to meet them :) as we do about
Free software. but i also know producers who are too scared to license
their works as completely Free yet. i feel that any move towards Freedom
or Commons or whatever we want to call it is a good one - and better
than the proprietary option. i dont think Open Source is bad, but in my
own works i choose Free.

the difference with CC is that it doesnt discriminate between any of
these efforts towards the Commons, but acts as an umbrella to foster all
of them and bring people together. now THAT is something missing in our
community - communication. since i began Copyleftmedia i noticed that
there are dozens of Free / Open Music licenses of various sorts but
hardly any of them know of each other's existence. putting them all
together is what i want to do - to build community. i think its damaging
to start saying 'you're not part of my community because you dont
entirely share every bit of my philosophy'. why not focus on what we
have in common - its far more powerful to work together than to split
into factions - which i think is hypocritical, because its contrary to
the very spirit of Freedom and Commons.

> I'm not sure, if I can express my point as clear as I could in my
> native language, though.

yeah, i understand. i'd say go ahead and say it in German, but my
reading thesedays is rather rudimentary and based on understanding Dutch
which is my second language... i could give it a go, though... but i
might then struggle just as much to understand... ! :(

greetings

m~

--

"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will piss on your computer." -- Bruce Graham

Musicians say No to RIAA Persecution and Prosecution of Music Lovers!

Sign the petition at http://www.copyleftmedia.org.uk/justsayno/

.::. www.iriXx.org .::. www.copyleftmedia.org.uk .::.