Re: [linux-audio-user] Trying to record audio from line in and additional questions

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Trying to record audio from line in and additional questions
From: Sylvain Robitaille (lau_AT_therockgarden.ca)
Date: Tue Oct 28 2003 - 03:50:04 EET

This is a followup to a message I wrote nearly a year ago, but the
problem has finally only been resolved today (at least that which could
be resolved). I felt a followup might be useful to others who may
encounter the same problems or come up with the same questions ...

On Sun, 23 Mar 2003, I wrote:

> The computer system is a 400 MHz K6-2 with 512 MB memory, and a Hercules
> Fortissimo II (Cirrus Logic Soundfusion CS4624 processor) sound card.

All still true ...

> The OS is Linux-2.4.20 (built up from Slackware-8.0, with kernel patches
> and package upgrades). I have the following ALSA components installed:
> alsa-driver-0.9.0rc7, alsa-oss-0.9.0rc1, alsa-utils-0.9.0rc7,
> alsa-lib-0.9.0rc7, alsa-tools-0.9.0rc7.

After having spent the last six months or so with the system in a
basically unusable state (for an unrelated reason), I have finally
upgraded to Slackware-9.1 (Linux-2.4.22), and installed alsa-driver-0.9.8,
alsa-lib-0.9.8 and alsa-utils-0.9.8.

> ALSA is the only component that I have modularized ...

still true ...

> I can send sound to the computer, and listen to that sound coming back
> from the computer (adjusting the level with the "line" level in Aumix,
> for example), but if I try to record that sound (in any of the
> applications I've tried, including all those listed above), with "record
> enable" selected in Aumix, I get no audio recorded (silent sound file).

I have finally resolved this issue, thanks to a note I found at the
"ALSA HOWTO WIKI" (http://alsa.opensrc.org/) On the page which
discusses the cs46xx driver
(http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php?page=cs46xx), I noticed this
paragraph referring to the Midiman DMAN card:

   If you find you can't record with this card, open up the alsamixer and
   set the following 3 channels to "capture": LINE, CAPTURE, and ADC. You
   of course have to unmute and set levels, but it takes all 3 of these
   channels set to capture mode in order to record on the Midiman DMAN.

I tried this on my own card, found that it works (finally, I can record
using this soundcard!), and added a note that this also applies to
the Hercules Gamesurround Fortissimo II soundcard. Thanks to who-ever
took the time to post that information about the DMAN card!

> Also, I find it interesting to note that I can record-enable only one
> input source at a time ...

still true. I'm still assuming this is a limitation in the hardware.

> - Can someone point me in the right direction(s) to find a solution to
> this, so I can record audio (preferably from numerous sources) into
> my computer?

Resolved! :-) (at least for a single source; I'm using a hardware
mixer anyway, so it isn't critical that I'm unable to record-enable
multiple sources)

[ starting jackd at boot-time ]
> Jackd fails to start at that point ... but it does start when
> run manually from a root shell.

Still unresolved. I'm no longer certain that I'll want to run Jack at
boot-time, as it seems I may want to not use it with some applications
(someone please correct me if I'm wrong about that...)

> - Is it possible to build ALSA into the kernel?

I'd still like to do this, but it isn't critical.

> - on a slightly unrelated point, my new soundcard has a built-in
> synthesizer with at least some features I'd like to explore.

It has become clear to me that the cs46xx ALSA driver does not contain
support for the built-in synth on these cards. Is this due to lack of
documentation? lack of interest? other?

It has taken a lot of patience, and much more work than I expected,
but I finally have a computer which I may be able to once again use for
recording and sequencing (Audacity works and Rosegarden-4 is looking very
nice... Ardour is most definitely going to be looked at!) Much thanks is
owed to all those who have contributed to the software and documentation
which has made this possible. Perhaps I can repay the favour someday ...

Sylvain Robitaille                              syl_AT_alcor.concordia.ca

Major in Electroacoustic Studies Concordia University Faculty of Fine Arts / Music Department Montreal, Quebec, Canada ----------------------------------------------------------------------