Re: [linux-audio-user] Announcing Gnomoradio

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Announcing Gnomoradio
From: Frank Barknecht (fbar_AT_footils.org)
Date: Wed Oct 29 2003 - 15:48:42 EET

Hallo,
Daniel James hat gesagt: // Daniel James wrote:

> > But then it cannot be distributed commercially freely by anyone. It
> > cannot be sold if you don't get a special permission to do so. So
> > actually the license doesn't give the user the full rights.
>
> What you seem to be saying is that user freedom is more important than
> artist freedom.

I am not. You seem to misunderstand me.

> Why should an artist be compelled to to grant rights to users? Free
> software, or culture, is a gift - it's not something that users can
> demand.

Yes, free software and free music is a gift. The non-commercial CC
license makes it a gift with a catch, or actually it makes it not a
gift at all in some sense. (One could argue, that GPL-free also has a
catch, by disallowing to take the gift away)
That's all what I'm saying. I'm not demanding musicians or software
authors to do anything or give me anything. I also don't (want to)
agitate against non-commercial licenses. But "non-commercial use or
distribution only" means non-free, that's all that I'm saying.

And personally I don't like the close neighbourhood of a non-free
license to the free licenses within the CC license bunch, because it
gives the impression, that "non-commercial use/dist. only" still means
free, when in fact it doesn't, it just means "sometimes yes, sometimes
not".

ciao