Re: [linux-audio-user] mounting network drives for dummies?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] mounting network drives for dummies?
From: kevin ernste (kevinernste_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Oct 30 2003 - 10:26:07 EET

Hi Mark -

If you do go ftp, there is also the Redhat "mouse-click-only" method
(this is on the server end):

- Grab a pure-ftpd rpm and install it.
- Go to "System Settings->Server Settings->Services", and...
- Start pure-ftpd by selecting it and clicking, you guessed it,
"Start".

You are now serving ftp from your planet box (planetoid) on port 21.
Just open the firewall to FTP in "System Settings->Security Level".
Dump away with gFTP or another. Note: You may need to turn off
"Passive file transfer" in the gFTP "FTP->Options" in order to connect
correctly.

On the other hand, SSH is likely already running and open (and
secure!), though the copy will be slower. gFTP will do ssh too, as
well:

scp [-r] MY_10GB_OF_STUFF user_AT_remote.box:/remote/dir

The -r is for recursive copying.

Kevin