Re: [linux-audio-user] mounting network drives for dummies?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] mounting network drives for dummies?
From: Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com)
Date: Thu Oct 30 2003 - 20:26:13 EET

On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 08:33:23AM -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > > I am indebted!
> >
> > cool. If you do this kind of thing a lot you may find rsync's added
> > features worthwhile. Rsync makes it very easy and fast to sync a large
> > directory tree where only some files have changed.
>
> Right. I am *sort of* familiar with rsync. I think it's part of the
> technology that is behind Gentoo's emerge, isn't it?

I believe that portage/emerge uses it, yes.
I find rsync nicer for most of my needs than FTP or scp.

typically what I do is this, to push:

rsync -auv file1 file2 ... user_AT_hostname:/path/to/where/i/want/it

or to pull:

rsync -auv user_AT_hostname:/path/to/something .

It Just Works (tm).
The only subtle gotcha I've found is that
"rsync foo_directory ." does not mean the same thing as
"rsync foo_directory/ ."
... this is explained clearly in the EXAMPLES section of the man page.

Also I generally put this in my /etc/profile:
export RSYNC_RSH=/usr/bin/ssh

--

Paul Winkler http://www.slinkp.com Look! Up in the sky! It's MEGATON WHORE BLADE! (random hero from isometric.spaceninja.com)