Re: [linux-audio-user] Announcing Gnomoradio

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Announcing Gnomoradio
From: Daniel James (daniel_AT_mondodesigno.com)
Date: Mon Nov 03 2003 - 11:33:28 EET

> If one would only be allowed to distribute Linux, if one did pay
> Linus Thorwalds for every copy, then Linux would not only fail to
> be "free" as in beer, it also would not be free as in "libre". The
> distribution must be allowed without any charges, as soon as I have
> the good.

I think that's a popular interpretation of the GPL, but in fact I
think you only have to distribute source code to those parties that
have received a binary. You can sell binaries for whatever you like -
Red Hat tm Enterprise AS Premium costs US $2499-$18000 for one year
of updates, depending on processor architecture:

http://www.redhat.com/apps/commerce/rhel/as/

Most of the commercial Linux distributors are using trademarks (eg Red
Hat tm), non-GPL essential components (eg SUSE's installer), or
lock-in to update services (Red Hat tm Enterprise) to frustrate
third-party commercial redistribution.

(All trademarks in this email are acknowledged to belong to their
respective owners).

Cheers

Daniel