Re: [linux-audio-user] Low latency kernel on Mandrake

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Low latency kernel on Mandrake
From: Daniel James (daniel_AT_mondodesigno.com)
Date: Mon Nov 03 2003 - 12:36:43 EET

> Also, if you are using KDE,
> Mandrake has this stupid idea of renicing X to -10, which makes the
> mm kernel very stop-and-go. Adjust the -n level to 0 in
> /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers. If you're using gdm (as all sane people
> do), you don't have to worry, X is not reniced by gdm.

Thanks Austin! This tip has solved a long-running Audacity 'bug' for
me, which I couldn't figure out. I wasn't seeing it on my
gdm/blackbox studio machine, but my kdm/kde/blackbox office machine
was always affected, no matter which IRQ the soundcard was on or how
many different builds of Audacity I tried. Both were running
otherwise similar Mandrake 9.1 installations.

For the record, with n set to -10 I got consistent skip-forwards of
the Audacity cursor during playback, whenever I moved the mouse.
That's why I was thinking it was an IRQ problem, but it persisted
even with optimised IRQs (10 for the soundcard, 11 for the network
card, 12 for the mouse.)

I was able to replicate this on two very different hardware machines
running kdm, so other Mandrake 9.1/Audacity users must have been
affected. I'll post the fix to the Audacity lists.

Cheers!

Daniel