Re: [linux-audio-user] CD Burning...

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] CD Burning...
From: Gian Paolo Mureddu (thetargos_AT_tutopia.com)
Date: Fri Nov 07 2003 - 07:34:55 EET

Aaron Trumm wrote:

>mine's real brand spankin' new
>

>>how long have you had your burner?.....
>>mine is pooping out thesedays after a lot of wear and tear and im
>>getting about the same ratio of coasters too.
>>

>>the other thing i'm guessing at is that maybe cdrecord / xcdroast arent
>>compatible with 52x burners?....
>>

>now this is an interesting theory - ties into the other guy's suggestion of
>burning slower. I'd bet that would work if not being compatible with 52x
>was the problem
>
>I did notice stuff like, on xcdroast, it would go to write the first track
>and just apparentely haul ass - it would report that it was burning at like
>243x - like WHOA slow down there cheeko! maybe forcing a certain speed
>(slower than 52x) would prevent this from happening

I have a 52x32x52x LG writer, these are my experiences:

- Depending on your version of cdrecord, you'd better have ide-scsi
emulation (some models are supported already via ATAPI)
- Also make sure you have the burner on the PRIMARI bus of your IDE
channel (I have mine as primary and my DVD as secondary, both on ide-scsi)
- Try using cdrdao also (XCDRoast is more like a *frontend* for cdrecord
*and* cdrdao, but depending on the options selected it will use either
one or the other).
- Depending on your distro, you may have real trouble to make you CD
writer work as a regular user (without you needing to change a ton of
perms, that is), RH is especially difficult here (but still possible, if
you like check this post I made over at
http://www.slackercentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47869, I there
post about how to obtain user access to the writer.
- Another way may be to check this script I wrote as an excersise:
#!/bin/bash
# Image grabing script.

while :
do
echo "Warning, this program uses cdrdao for image making!"
echo "You will need either a true SCSI drive or SCSI emulation"
echo "on EIDE-ATAPI drives, if you want to konw how your devices"
echo "are mapped on the SCSI bus, you may want to see the contents"
echo "of /proc/scsi/scsi or by 'cdrdao scanbus'"
echo
echo "Do you want me to run 'cdrdao scanbus' (y/n)?"
read ANS
case $ANS in
    y|Y)
        cdrdao scanbus
        break
        ;;
    n|N)
        break
        ;;
    *)
        echo "Please choose y/n"
        read ANS
esac
done

echo "Device from which you would like to extract the image from?"
echo "(Default /dev/cdrecorder)"
read DEV
if [ "$DEV" == "" ]
then
    DEV="/dev/cdrecorder"
# For debug only
# echo $DEV
fi
echo "Path where you want to store the image"
read DIR
echo "Name of the image"
read IMG

cdrdao read-cd --read-raw --datafile $DIR/$IMG.bin --device $DEV
--driver generic-mmc-raw $IMG.toc

echo
echo "Do you want to burn your newly created image (y/n)?"
read ANS0
while :
do
case $ANS0 in
    y|Y)
        echo "Do you need to change the device for your cd-burner (y/n)?"
        read ANS1
        unset DEV
        while :
        do
            case $ANS1 in
                y|Y)
                    echo "Please write the device you would like to use"
                    echo "it may be in the format bus,id,lun, default
/dev/cdrecorder"
                    read DEV
                    if [ "$DEV" == " " ]
                    then
                        DEV="/dev/cdrecorder"
                    fi
                    break
                    ;;
                n|N)
                    break
                    ;;
                *)
                    echo "Please answer whether y/n"
            esac
        done
        echo "Please state the speed of your cd-burner"
        read SPD
        echo "Do you want to pass extra options to cdrdao (like
--simulate)?"
        echo "Please enter your options below, leave blank for default"
        read OPT
        cdrdao write $OPT --eject --speed $SPD --device $DEV --driver
generic-mmc $DIR/$IMG.toc
        echo "Your CD has been burnt successfully (unless otherwise stated)"
        exit 1
        ;;
    n|N)
        exit 2