[linux-audio-user] [RFC] Request For Contest - The Linux-2.6 theme song contest !

Subject: [linux-audio-user] [RFC] Request For Contest - The Linux-2.6 theme song contest !
From: Robert Jonsson (robert.jonsson_AT_dataductus.se)
Date: Fri Nov 14 2003 - 20:11:20 EET

Hi Everybody,

This mail is a direct consequence of the song Austin Acton posted recently. :)
A nice little tune made with linux, about linux, that has been quite
successful with very little advertisement.

After a few brain rotations (before you ask, yes, I think by rotating my
brain) I came to the conclusion that RIGHT NOW is a wonderful time to start a
write_the_best_linux_song_contest!

My reasoning is that linux-2.6 is just around the corner, people are hungry
for any kind of linux related information, no matter how far fetched (I don't
even think this is very far fetched). Making a little contest to choose THE
linux-2.6-theme-song seems like a very good way to attract some easy
publicity, the main thing we want to do is make people interested in (and
aware of) audio production under linux.
I'm confident that Slashdot (or any news site in the free software world for
that matter) would gladly do a story on this event. BUT before we get to
that, let's atleast produce some music ! :)

Some criteria I thought would be applicable:
- The song must be about linux in some way
  (about linux 2.6 seems the obvious choice).
- The song must be (atleast) processed with a computer and
  that computer must run linux.
- No computer running an operating system that is nonfree
  can be used in the production. (External synthesizers or
  similar stuff with advanced capabilties don't count as
  computers and can thus be used)
- The song must be written by the artist
  (possibly used with permission).
- The song would preferably contain some kind of voice track
  ( it might be hard to hear that it's about linux otherwise,
  and it would be nice to know how you people sound :-)
- the better the audio quality the better, though
  I think there are other qualities of the recordings that count.
- Some info about the applications/gear used should be included
  (atleast applications).
- No prices, just free publicity for anybody that joins,
  and most publicity for those that reach the top in the
  event that we actually pull of a vote.

We already got one song, Austins! I'm in the middle of producing a naive
electronic piece myself (I mainly play the guitar) that I think will be
applicable also. But... two songs don't make a contest... So, what do you
say? Are we up to it?

I'm calling all linux-artist wannabees, this is the time! I dare all
developers that aren't on a deadline to take some time of from coding and
also participate, bring out the artist in you! :)

Wouldn't you just die to hear "The ballad of Alan Cox", or "Linus' Theme" or
"The Bitkeeper Blues" :) (those are free btw if anyone gets any bright
ideas ;)

>From now til, say, December 14, one month, might be enough time to do
something creative, yes?

Let me know if there is any interest for this then I will try to formalize
things a bit, website etc.
Well don't just sit there, let's do it! :)

/Robert