Re: [linux-audio-user] Great news for JACK & KDE

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Great news for JACK & KDE
From: Ross Vandegrift (ross_AT_willow.seitz.com)
Date: Fri Nov 21 2003 - 15:14:00 EET

On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 10:22:57AM +0000, Daniel James wrote:
> Anyone want to defend the use of artsd?

I'll take a swing. It's a working way to get multiple stream output
for applications. Yes, we would scoff at its performance but that's not
important. I don't really care if xmms and gaim have some amount of
latency in their playback. All I care is that the sound comes out
within a reasonable amount of time.

So this would let there be two classes of audio apps - important ones,
and unimportant ones ::-). Important apps like ardour can use JACK directly
and have synchronized operation and low-latency. Unimportant apps like
gaim can just go "bong" at some point when they need to.

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross_AT_willow.seitz.com

A Pope has a Water Cannon. It is a Water Cannon. He fires Holy-Water from it. It is a Holy-Water Cannon. He Blesses it. It is a Holy Holy-Water Cannon. He Blesses the Hell out of it. It is a Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon. He has it pierced. It is a Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon. He makes it official. It is a Canon Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon. Batman and Robin arrive. He shoots them.