Re: [linux-audio-user] Great news for JACK & KDE

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Great news for JACK & KDE
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Nov 21 2003 - 16:07:35 EET

On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 07:48:27 -0500, Ivica Bukvic wrote:
> I am not necessarily interested in defending Artsd since I myself also
> do not care much for it. What I can do is though explain that artsd
> supposedly does a lot of other things that the KDE ppl seem interested
> in. In other words, chances for us convincing them to switch strictly to
> Jack are nil (tried before, as I'm sure some of you did as well, and
> pretty much got nowhere). This way at least we get to have JACK as the
> backbone of all servers and have KDE still with its architectural
> solution intact.

Agreed, I think this is the best thing - existing "bings and beeps" type
apps are unlikly to switch to a JACK style API for the audio i/o, and if
they did they wouldn't be particiaularly happy - JACK does no sample rate
conversion, bit depth changes or any of that stuff (and never will if I
have anything to do with it).

So, the apps dont have to change thier api, but are still compatible with
JACK - thats great. Hopefull it also means that when a consumer audio app
underrruns it wont affect JACK, and the arts server wont block.

- Steve