Re: [linux-audio-user] Great news for JACK & KDE

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Great news for JACK & KDE
From: Daniel James (daniel_AT_mondodesigno.com)
Date: Fri Nov 21 2003 - 18:06:22 EET

> > 1.) would jack be "scalable" enough to run xmms and kolf with
> > sound enabled at the same time on a Pentium1/166MHz as arts does
> > with arts for my 9 year old Daughter ?
>
> ALSA's builtin dmix can do that.

Given that the two most popular 'KDE supporter' Linux distributions
(SUSE and Mandrake) also install ALSA by default, maybe dmix rather
than artsd support is what we should be lobbying the KDE developers
for.

As pointed out already, artsd is no use with non-KDE applications, of
which at least one is likely to be running on a KDE desktop at any
one time.

Cheers

Daniel