Re: [linux-audio-user] Recommendatio wanted

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Recommendatio wanted
From: Joerg Anders (j.anders_AT_informatik.tu-chemnitz.de)
Date: Thu Nov 27 2003 - 10:39:05 EET

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003, Hartmut Z Noack wrote:

> If SB-Live does not work sufficiently, why dont trying to use Terratecs
> EWX24/96?

... because everybody recommended Audigy and SB Live. I assume they spoke
about the PCM output of this card. My main point is the MIDI synthesizer.

> The card does not have Hardware SF-Support but you can load
> SFs into RAM (if you have enough...)

... I have enough. How is it loaded ? With "sfxload" ?

> AWE64 was a great card for its price back in the days, when ISA was the
> default for Soundcards. That the support for these cards is fading is
> only natural, ...

.... it is supported. But the new computers have no ISA slots.

> since the great PCI-Cards, shipped nowadays are simply
> much better ...

... "much better" is not so interesting to me (if you think about
noise and latency or so... ) All I want is: The SF2 instruments should
be correctly sythesised (unlike FluidSynth string creation) and the
wavetable synthesizer should not omit some
notes (unlike ALSA emu10k1 driver). Both offers AWE-64 with 24 MB RAM extention.

> Conclusion: try Delta 66 or some similar Pro-Gear or try it with a
> ICE-chipbased card like terratecs muse, whitch are verywell supported by
> alsa and can play SF from RAM.

Ok! I'll make a try.

--
J.Anders, Chemnitz, GERMANY (ja_AT_informatik.tu-chemnitz.de)