Re: [linux-audio-user] Recommendatio wanted

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Recommendatio wanted
From: Chris Cannam (cannam_AT_all-day-breakfast.com)
Date: Mon Dec 01 2003 - 13:08:25 EET

On Monday 01 Dec 2003 10:45 am, Joerg Anders wrote:
> Do you really get different results
> with FluidR3 soundfont and FluidSynth ?

Well, one problem is that I don't think you've ever actually said
which patch you're using, except that it's "strings". The result I
get varies wildly depending on which patch I use. With the Fluid3
soundfont, I get:

Violin (41), viola (42), cello (43): level tones, entered smoothly,
building up rather than attacking. A bit unexpressive but nice
enough.

Tremolo Strings (45): a very glitchy sound with a smooth envelope.
Sounds nasty, surely something wrong with the font or synth here but
it's not the same effect as you're describing.

String Ensemble 1 (49): pretty much the same as you. I'm guessing
this is what you're using.

String Ensemble 2 (50): a nice smooth string wash, no attack.

Synth Strings 1 (51): a smooth sound with some pretty bizarre tuning.

Synth Strings 2 (52): similar but more so (reminds me of that
out-of-tune synth in Joy Division's The Eternal).

So you see, I've generally assumed that most of these fonts were just
designed to have the string ensemble 1 sound a bit more vigorous for
faster passages and the string ensemble 2 be the friendly wash. That
is actually quite a useful distinction. It hadn't occurred to me
that other synths would play it differently.

Given that this isn't exhibited with all string patches, it really
might be worth taking a bit more time to check that the hardware
synth is actually the correct one. Just because you like it better
doesn't necessarily mean it is (although it seems probable). I
certainly agree with you that the difference is rather strange.

Chris