Re: [linux-audio-user] ALSA/OSS Free supported sound card with 16 input channels

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] ALSA/OSS Free supported sound card with 16 input channels
From: Patrick Shirkey (pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com)
Date: Mon Dec 01 2003 - 15:42:52 EET

jpo234_AT_netscape.net wrote:
> Hi List,
> for a project where we want to measure voice quality in a special network
> we need a way to connect 16 audio sources to a computer running Linux.
>
> What is the best way to do this? One card with 16 input channels? Which one?
> Or multiple cards with less input channels (say 4 cards with 4 channels)?
> Once again, which one?

Your be either one rme hammerfall + digital mixing desk with adat
connectors. Otherwise you can use multiple cards but they need to be
wordclock synced so you tracks stay in sample sync with each other. In
that case you could use two rme hdsp multifaces, 2 midiman delta1010s
and there are a couple of other 8 i/o cards with ALSA support.

> Will we have 16 /dev/dsp devices [e.g. /dev/dsp0 .. /dev/dsp16]?

If you use jack you will have an easy to understand interface for
routing the i/o's.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
http://www.boosthardware.com

Apparently upon the beginning of the barrage, the donkey broke discipline and panicked, toppling the cart. At that point, the rockets disconnected from the timer, leaving them strewn around the street. Tethered to the now toppled cart, the donkey was unable to escape before the arrival of U.S. troops.

United Press International Rockets on donkeys hit major Baghdad sites

By P. MITCHELL PROTHERO Published 11/21/2003 11:13 AM