Re: [linux-audio-user] ALSA/OSS Free supported sound card with 16input channels

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] ALSA/OSS Free supported sound card with 16input channels
From: jpo234_AT_netscape.net
Date: Mon Dec 01 2003 - 16:58:11 EET

Patrick,
thanks for your quick reply. I'm not quite sure whether your answer
is really the answer on what I wanted to ask, so I'll clarify below.

Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com> wrote:

>Your be either one rme hammerfall + digital mixing desk with adat
>connectors. Otherwise you can use multiple cards but they need to be
>wordclock synced so you tracks stay in sample sync with each other. In
>that case you could use two rme hdsp multifaces, 2 midiman delta1010s
>and there are a couple of other 8 i/o cards with ALSA support.

I think to make sure that this is really what we need I'll have to
provide a better description of the problem. We are developing a
testbed for wireless voice transmission. We will have up to 16 active
phones, that are independently used to receive voice samples. We have
to record each voice transmission to a .WAV file (because this is what
the quality measurement tool understands).
To do this we will have to connect the 16 phones to a Linux box (prefered)
and need the ability to save the voice sample to a file. Each sample is
completely independent of all the other samples. Basically we need the
ability to do "sox /dev/phonespeakerX phoneXsample.wav" where 0 <= X <= 15.

>> Will we have 16 /dev/dsp devices [e.g. /dev/dsp0 .. /dev/dsp16]?
>>

>If you use jack you will have an easy to understand interface for
>routing the i/o's.

Following your suggestion I glanced at jack. I'm not quite sure whether
this is really what we are looking for.

Thanks in advance
  Joerg