Re: [Alsa-user] Re: [linux-audio-user] ALSA: What is the website missing?

Subject: Re: [Alsa-user] Re: [linux-audio-user] ALSA: What is the website missing?
From: Takashi Iwai (tiwai_AT_suse.de)
Date: Mon Dec 01 2003 - 19:26:18 EET

At Tue, 02 Dec 2003 00:54:33 +0900,
Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> > Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> >
> >>Can you tell me what things you would like to have on the website
> >>that are not already there? What things have you noticed while
> >>using it that are not user friendly?
> >

> > I'd like to have separate entries for USB devices, i.e., pages
> > independent of the driver module name.
> > The same would come in handy for AC'97 codecs, too.
> >

> Can you show me what you mean with ascii?

i agree with Clemens.

currently, there are plenty of USB devices enough to list as one page.
since the USB devices are independent from other soundcards, it's not
necessarily listed together.

if i understand his suggestion correctly, we can create a link from
the "generic USB" entriy in the matrix page to the USB-specific table
which show the all supported/unsupported USB devices.

in the case of ac97 codecs, the problem is a bit different than USB.
but still, it'll be nice to have another table for AC97 chips, too,
because of the following reasons:
- in many cases, people are told that the soundcard on their boards is
  an AC97 chip. it's partly true, but not completely. as you know,
  the real driver is different. this note should appear somewhere.
- each ac97 chip has different character and its support
  (implementation on ALSA) depends, too. some supports 5.1 outputs,
  some broken, some work as compatible with older chips, etc.

well, maybe the best way is to build the matrix page based on a
certain RDB. we have several keys to sort. e.g., there will be a
page sorted by the hardware maker (as it is now), a page sorted by
BUS, and one by driver, etc.

just my ~$0.02.

Takashi