Re: [linux-audio-user] Analyzing ogg files

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Analyzing ogg files
From: Mark Knecht (markknecht_AT_comcast.net)
Date: Tue Dec 02 2003 - 07:28:17 EET

On Mon, 2003-12-01 at 21:20, Gustavo Zamorano S. wrote:
> I don't know if what happens is that the header of a sound file has been
> treated as sound and it is generating the noise.
> You can cut it out with rezound, for example...

No, sorry. I wasn't clear enough. The files are fine. I can play them on
other systems, or with other sound cards, and I don't get any problem.
The only time the noise problem shows up is with my high end $500 sound
card, and only when using Alsa OSS emulation. It's perfectly fine on
Alsa audio.

For instance, I can play wave/jazz_seq1.wav using alsaplayer and I get
no noise, but xmms playing the same file through OSS has trouble.

The thing I was after tonight was that the examplesustain.ogg file is
the first one I've found that plays in multiple OSS apps and doesn't
make the noise. I wanted to try and understand why it doesn't make the
sound.

Sorry for not being more clear.

Thanks for your help.

- Mark