Re: [linux-audio-user] TiMidity++ and FluidSynth

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] TiMidity++ and FluidSynth
From: Takashi Iwai (tiwai_AT_suse.de)
Date: Tue Dec 02 2003 - 12:36:31 EET

At Mon, 1 Dec 2003 09:14:02 +0100 (MET),
Joerg Anders wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Nov 2003, Julien Claassen wrote:
>
> > I think the timjidity config file has an option for preloading sounds ...
>
> "-j" ??? This has no influence!

if you use timidity as the ALSA sequencer mode, surely it has no
influence. in the ALSA seq mode, there is no way to know the
instruments unless you send a MIDI program command explicitly.
(in the case of MIDI playback, timidity parses the MIDI file and
 preload the instruments used in the file.)
also, timidity will never load the whole instruments in a single
soundfont file. it will load only the single instrument in a sf
file.

BTW, which version of timidity are you using?
the one on SUSE 9.0 is relatively new, taken from timidity's cvs, but
i don't know about other distros. the sound quality (especially
soundfont) is pretty different between the latest tarball and the cvs
version.

Takashi