Re: [linux-audio-user] USB hardware: Audigy 2 NX / Extigy

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] USB hardware: Audigy 2 NX / Extigy
From: Clemens Ladisch (clemens_AT_ladisch.de)
Date: Tue Dec 02 2003 - 19:51:19 EET

Andreas Kuckartz wrote:
> My required features:
> - USB
> - should not cost more than about 150 Euro
> - two channel analog audio I/O
> - Windows 2000 drivers should also be avalable :-)

With these specs, I'd suggest an Edirol UA-1A:
<http://www.netzmarkt.de/thomann/artikel-150893.html> or UA-1X:
<http://www.netzmarkt.de/thomann/artikel-165708.html>.

> Optional:
> - MIDI In/Out

Usually, 'consumer' devices don't have MIDI. Maybe you should get
both a USB audio and a USB MIDI interface. (All USB MIDI interfaces
from ESI, Edirol, and Midiman are supported by ALSA.)

> - 5.1 audio out

5.1 over USB is tricky because of the relatively low USB 1.1 bandwith.

The Extigy can play AC3 data, but _not_ with the ALSA driver. I don't
know if it can handle uncompressed 6-channel data.

HTH
Clemens