Re: [linux-audio-user] Rewrite sfxload for native ALSA

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Rewrite sfxload for native ALSA
From: LinuxMedia (linuxmedia4_AT_netscape.net)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 03:24:54 EET

> I anyone aware of ANY non-OSS tool to load soundfonts into
> an SBlive card ?
>
> If not, would anyone be interested in looking in to how to
> rewrite sfxload so it, at least, uses the native ALSA API ?
>
> Even with ALSA in the 2.6 kernel (yay, no more modules) and
> most apps now converted to ALSA/jack I am still stuck with
> this small but useful utility. I get around it by simply not
> using the the soundfont capability of my SBlive. Pity.
>
> --markc

This is another example why I try to avoid hardware synthesis and go
with software synthesis. There's actually two (main) reasons for this...
For one, some of the sound cards have a limit on the size of sound fonts
You can load... and for another reason, what happens if I want to set up
the same "studio" (that I've worked tirelessly for years to set up) on
someone else's computer and they don't have hardware synthesis
capabilities? I would have to learn more "stuff" when (instead) I could
just set up the software synthesis that I know (and have tested)?

I don't know... maybe I'm always thinking in terms of being able to set
up "audio studios" for other People. The irony is that I haven't set up
one computer for a friend yet (I've offered though).

Rocco