Re: [linux-audio-user] MIDI hardware recommendations?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] MIDI hardware recommendations?
From: Clemens Ladisch (clemens_AT_ladisch.de)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 12:02:41 EET

Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> paul wisehart wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 01:49:36AM +0000, Neil Durant wrote:
> >
> >>I would like to buy either a soundcard or dedicated MIDI interface for MIDI
> >>applications on a PC, and was wondering if people had any recommendations?
> >>
> >> 1) Either PCI or USB

An old PCI sound card plus a gameport/MIDI cable might be cheaper than
a USB MIDI interface, but the latter is more flexible, and a must if
you want more than 1/1 ports.

For supported PCI cards, see the soundcard matrix (please note that
MIDI on ES1938 chips is not supported). All USB MIDI interfaces from
Edirol, ESI, Midiman, and Yamaha are supported.

> >> 4) Ideally 2 out ports, but 1 would be ok
> >> 5) 1 in port is fine

The ESI RomI/O has 2 out / 1 in.

> > [...] you don't have to do any firmware/bios loading as (i think)
> > you have to do with the midisport usb interfaces.
>
> I think it is done by default when the driver is loaded now. For the
> quattro at least.

The Quattro already has a working firmware. The MidiSport firmware
loader still has to be installed separately.

HTH
Clemens