Re: [linux-audio-user] TiMidity++ and FluidSynth

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] TiMidity++ and FluidSynth
From: LinuxMedia (linuxmedia4_AT_netscape.net)
Date: Thu Dec 04 2003 - 05:17:29 EET

markc_AT_renta.net wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 09:50 am, LinuxMedia wrote:
> (about capturing SBlive hardware synth output directly to a wav file)

>>Absolutly... When someone on this list pointed this out, I was blown
>>away. I use My SB Live card to play my soundfont thru My keyboard and
>>"capture" it to a file using ecasound. This has actually opened up a
>>whole new approach to recording. It isn't the "alternative" to recording
>>midi (and converting .mid to .wav with Timidity), but it gives Me
>>another aproach to recording live when working with My sound fonts.

> So you've developed your own soundfont ?
>
> Is it something you can share with others ?

What I was referring to was being able to record what comes from SB
Live's Hardware Wavetable output (directly) to an audio file. So while
I'm triggering the sounds in the Hardware Wavetable (with My keyboard
controller), the output is not only being directed out to the speakers,
but I'm recording it directly to a WAV file (using ecasound) while I
play. This is done by enabling the "capture mode" on the "Music" slider
(in alsamixer). Press the "space bar" while the "Music" slider is
highlighted. You should see "CPTUR" above the "Music" slider. I've used
this approach to record the wavetable output with several recording
programs.

Rocco