Re: [linux-audio-user] Rewrite sfxload for native ALSA

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Rewrite sfxload for native ALSA
From: Robert Jonsson (robert.jonsson_AT_dataductus.se)
Date: Thu Dec 04 2003 - 09:42:55 EET

Hi,

LinuxMedia wrote:
>>> I don't know... maybe I'm always thinking in terms of being able to set
>>> up "audio studios" for other People. The irony is that I haven't set up
>>> one computer for a friend yet (I've offered though).
>

>> I feel very much the same and would love to see some sort of
>> "reference" system evolve where out of all the fine apps that
>> are becoming highly usable, by mere mortals, that some guide as to
>> which ones are most suitable would really help new users.
>

> I've been working with Linux/Audio for about 4 years and I am still
> working out the "complete" studio. And it's always in My mind that it
> will be the "template" for other studios. I've gone a long way by
> avoiding a lot of "middle men" by using MuSE which allows both Audio and
> Midi to be synced. This also eliminates the need to deal with the snags
> (and extra work) that Jack introduces (even though i really respect what
> Jack does).
>
> I hit another delay because the new version of MuSE requires so many
> upgrades to my system

It does? I didn't know the requirements had changed so much?
Or are you talking about the other MuSE ?
If you are talking about (and I believe you are) lmuse.sf.net then it
should be spelled MusE. Tragically there is another project in the linux
  audio arena (related to streaming I think) that is named MuSE.

> that I just ordered SuSE 9.0 instead of trying to
> find all these files.

This is probably a good upgrade anyway. I find that refreshing your
system once in a while helps keep track of things, not to mention new
features of distribution.

Anyways, If I find that the new version of MuSE
> will *record* audio then I've eliminated *yet* another "middle man".

I welcome you to the lmuse user-mailinglist for further discussions (if
you are not there already). Recording in MusE has been working for
months if not years. I use it all the time.

> Obvious, I believe in keeping it simple. I've managed to get it down to
> just a couple of easy to use (and effective) programs. Now there's less
> "stuff" to install, maintain, upgrade, learn, master. I included the
> term "master" because look how complex *every* program is, and how much
> time one *could* put in *any* one of these programs. Keep in mind that
> as soon as You learn one, there's (usually) an upgrade and then new
> features to install/set-up/learn. And if I'm really going to be able to
> contribute to the Linux/Audio community (by setting up computers for
> People), then it would be too much to be doing this with a lot of
> programs. And I've spent a lot of time testing programs until I came to
> choose what I've choosen.
>
> Well, so far, I have it down to ecasound, MuSE, Timidity and Smurf
> (sound font edior). I probly missed a few. But these are the main ones.
> And as much as I *love* ecasound, if MuSE can record a "live" track,
> then I will be down to 3 main programs that are (to Me) a "complete
> studio" (I still say ecasound and Jack are great programs though).

Just for the record, muse is due for a release soon, the last in the 0.6
series, after that 0.7 will follow (when it's ready), 0.7 will require
Jack so you will have to get used to installing Jack I guess ;).