Re: [linux-audio-user] TiMidity++ and FluidSynth

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] TiMidity++ and FluidSynth
From: Rocco (linuxmedia4_AT_netscape.net)
Date: Thu Dec 04 2003 - 19:24:45 EET

markc_AT_renta.net wrote:

> So would this still apply, if say Timidity was in alsaseq mode with
> MusE playing back thru it, and ALSO using a keyboard at the same
> time aconnected to Timidity, that BOTH MusE putput and keyboard input
> could be recorded to a wav file via arecord and/or ecasound ?

What I did was loaded a file in MusE that had a "live" audio track and
several midi tracks. The midi tracks (along with the keyboard that I was
playing) was triggering Timidity... and Timidity is in alsaseq mode.

I had to enable "capture mode" on the "Wave" slider (in alsamixer). With
the "Wave" slider in "capture mode", I was able to record everything
that MusE was playing *and* what was coming out of the keyboard I was
playing.

There's ways of seperating what gets recorded and what just gets played
thru alsa (by selecting the right capture modes and adjusting the
sliders). I don't remember how it all works though.

This is what I was saying about there being possible "hidden" advantages
to the (many) capture modes and sliders in alsamixer. For instance, if I
was playing a flash demo (in netscape), and enabled the capture mode on
the Wave slider, would I be able to record the flash sound to a WAV
file? If not, would there be a slider that would allow this "capturing"
of the flash demo? I will bet anything that it would be the "Wave" slider.

There's so many sliders and I've messed with them in differnet
occasions. There's a lot one can do with all that control. I'm just not
sure *how* much. For instance, I've adjusted *just* the echo effect and
lowered the "dry" sound (the original sound) from a file that was being
played with ecasound by using the right combination of sliders in alsamixer.

Rocco