RE: [linux-audio-user] ebay guy: looks like he figured it out

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-user] ebay guy: looks like he figured it out
From: Mark Knecht (mknecht_AT_controlnet.com)
Date: Fri Dec 05 2003 - 18:09:59 EET

> So we could be talking about at least US$50,000 profit that this guy
> has made selling 'free as in beer' software.
>
> Cheers
>
> Daniel

How is this any different than the guys who sell 16 Linux distro's on CD to
people who want to buy it that way? There are lots of people that still like
a office full of CDs. It's easy to go back to what was working, or make two
machines work the same. There are good reasons to buy on CD.

I know one very knowledgeable Linux guy who is a top Redhat contributor that
subscribes to some service that sends him his distros all updated nicely
every 90 days on CD. He uses those and doesn't download anything off the
net. He's forgotten more than I'll ever know about Linux and he spends
$100/year for the service?

Why? Because it's a free choice about free software, even though the outcome
isn't free!

- Mark