Re: [linux-audio-user] Skipping audio output?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Skipping audio output?
From: Anthony DiSante (orders_AT_nodivisions.com)
Date: Sun Dec 07 2003 - 19:43:07 EET

Daniel James wrote:
>>However if
>>I do something that peaks the CPU (like dragging a window around
>>really fast), this also causes the sound to skip immediately.
>

> Are you by any chance using Mandrake, or have the kdm login manager
> installed? If so, the problem is likely to be X being reniced by
> default, and you might like to try this fix:
>
> Adjust the -n level from -10 to 0 in the file /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers so
> the last line looks like this:
>
> :0 local /bin/nice -n 0 /usr/X11R6/bin/X -deferglyphs 16

I'm not using Mandrake (I run Slackware 9.1 currently), but I'm not sure if
I've got the kdm login manager installed. (ps -ef|grep kdm shows nothing,
if that tells you anything.) I use text-based login on my system, and after
logging in, I run startx to bring up Gnome. Here's my /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers
file:

# $Xorg: Xserv.ws.cpp,v 1.3 2000/08/17 19:54:17 cpqbld Exp $
#
# Xservers file, workstation prototype
#
# This file should contain an entry to start the server on the
# local display; if you have more than one display (not screen),
# you can add entries to the list (one per line). If you also
# have some X terminals connected which do not support XDMCP,
# you can add them here as well. Each X terminal line should
# look like:
# XTerminalName:0 foreign
#
:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X

So it's just that one line, and it doesn't currently have the call to
/bin/nice. Should I add it?

Thanks,
Anthony
http://nodivisions.com/