Re: [linux-audio-user] Recording from SPDIF with SB live

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Recording from SPDIF with SB live
From: Christophe Vescovi (vescovi_AT_lpsc.in2p3.fr)
Date: Fri Dec 12 2003 - 10:20:36 EET

lau_AT_hippie-online.de a écrit :

> Yes, you are right, this works (and is not possible using alsamixergui)
> - thank you! *But* it definitely results in a DA-AD conversion because
> - I can record in arbitrary sampling rates without problems
> - When I stop the tape the input level remains about -70 dB
>
> Is this a particular weakness of the SB live? What card supports exact
> recording from SPDIF-in?
>
> Ciao,
> HippiE

Yes this is a well known problem of the SB Live. The EMU10K1 Chips work
only at 48kHz and the SPDIF input is resampling the data to 48kHz
whatever is the input sample rate (even if this is 48kHz). So it's not
possible to do sample accurate digital copy from SPDIF-in. Most semi-pro
audio cards support exact recording from SPDIF, the M-audio cards for
example are well supported under Linux (the Audiophile is a good
candidate if you don't need multiple IO).

Christophe