Re: [linux-audio-user] Re:Changing ALSA driver.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re:Changing ALSA driver.
From: Clemens Ladisch (clemens_AT_ladisch.de)
Date: Thu Dec 18 2003 - 13:44:30 EET

David Baron wrote:
> Rmmod does (think it will) remove the driver. It will not, however, end the
> association of that driver with the sound card. Using the sound card
> configuring routine simply goes back to the erroneous maestro. If I manually
> change it, it exits complaining that the sndconfig entries are already
> there. All that is is an alias snd.... = maestro.

If the configuration utility of your distribution doesn't support
ALSA, you have to create the entries in modules.conf manually.

> I have two other devices around as well:
>
> 1. USB Roland MIDI. This appears to have been configured

The hotplug scripts load the driver even when it isn't configured. And
because of this, it might be loaded before the other drivers; so there
should be an entry for this in modules.conf.

> so I need some quick way of testing it out. Maybe I'll just start
> up rosegarden and see if it receives anything.

To see any received data, run "amidi -l" to see a list of ports, then
run "amidi -d -p hw:X". (You need a recent ALSA version for amidi.)

To play a .mid file, run "pmidi -l" to see a list of ports, then run
"pmidi -p X:0 something.mid".

> 2. SW60XG ISA sound card. This uses no IRQ or DMA, just a settable port
> address. The card is supposed to be accessible using an mpu401 driver.

The configuration for your three cards should look like this:

  alias char-major-14 soundcore
  alias char-major-116 snd

  options snd cards_limit=3

  alias snd-card-0 snd-xxxxxx
  alias snd-card-1 snd-usb-audio
  alias snd-card-2 snd-mpu401
  options snd-card-0 index=0
  options snd-usb-audio index=1
  options snd-mpu401 index=2 port=0x330 irq=-1

  # OSS emulation
  alias snd-slot-0 snd-card-0
  alias snd-slot-1 snd-card-1
  alias snd-slot-2 snd-card-2
  alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
  alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
  alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
  alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
  alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
  alias sound-service-1-0 snd-mixer-oss
  alias sound-service-1-3 snd-pcm-oss
  alias sound-service-1-12 snd-pcm-oss
  alias sound-service-2-0 snd-mixer-oss
  alias sound-service-2-3 snd-pcm-oss
  alias sound-service-2-12 snd-pcm-oss

The driver name for your first sound card depends on what card you
actually have, see <www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/>. The port address
for the snd-mpu401 driver must be set to the same value as selected on
the card.

HTH
Clemens