Re: [linux-audio-user] Reliable archival of recordings

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Reliable archival of recordings
From: Eric Dantan Rzewnicki (rzewnickie_AT_rfa.org)
Date: Thu Dec 18 2003 - 22:49:19 EET

I got a bunch of 120G drives a few months ago for $80 each. Still $160
for a pair, but, less than $200. If you haven't already checked it
out: www.pricewatch.com is a good place to shop.

As far as protecting data ... My solution is to have one data disk
on my audio box and mirrored drives on my file server. This is, of
course, more expensive and a second box to maintain. I had thought
about mirrored drives on my workstation, but that doesn't protect me
from user error, i.e. accidentally deleting a file I didn't mean to.
The file server is a fairly new thing for me, but so far I did one
full scp from my workstation's audio drive to mirrored 120G drives on
the file server a week ago. My plan is to set up a nightly rsync job on
my workstation to move any new stuff to the file server.

Hope this helps. Backups are important. Many years ago, before I became
a linux user, I lost a half finished orchestration for wind ensemble of
a ~30 minute composition I was working on in Finale on my Mac when the
drive failed catastrophically.