Re: [linux-audio-user] NoteEdit 2.3.4

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] NoteEdit 2.3.4
From: Chris Cannam (cannam_AT_all-day-breakfast.com)
Date: Tue Dec 23 2003 - 15:56:53 EET

On Tuesday 23 Dec 2003 7:48 am, Joerg Anders wrote:
> Leon Vinken <leon.vinken_AT_hetnet.nl> contacted you

About the problems mentioned in your previous release note, yes; not
the point about accidentals in your latest one. That's not a problem
-- he has no obligation to do that, and it was nice of him to report
the previous batch of bugs. But he's not the one sending out your
release note.

> Perhaps it helps if I say: I always made lists of problems with
> relevant software.

I also have no problem with your telling your users that certain
things won't work. But you could so easily have resolved the problem
and thus made _your_ program more useful to _your_ users by also
notifying us about it and encouraging us to fix it. It's not very
useful to see interoperability as a contest.

And no, I wouldn't be bothering to comment at all, if it weren't the
second time in a row you'd done this, or if you'd let us know that
you were seeing this particular problem, or if you'd placed the
information as a warning in the README or FAQ for NoteEdit rather
than choosing to proclaim it to as many different mailing lists and
Usenet groups as you thought were even vaguely relevant, or if the
information you gave were not actually somewhat misleading. Any one
of those would have done. I don't think I'm asking for any more than
common courtesy here.

Anyway, enough of this unseasonal stuff. I appreciate that you
probably just saw it as the most practical way to get the information
across.

Chris