Re: [linux-audio-user] Suitable distro for audio works: Debian Stable -> Unstable

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Suitable distro for audio works: Debian Stable -> Unstable
From: Mr. Spock (spock_AT_canopus22.demon.co.uk)
Date: Wed Dec 24 2003 - 23:45:21 EET

On Wed, Dec 24, 2003 at 09:18:04AM +0000, tim hall wrote:
> Well I'm using Agnula/DeMuDi and enjoying it lots, getting some results and
> learning a whole lot more. I think it all depends on what style of system you
> want. I was already using Debian, so all I had to do was add a couple of
> lines to my /etc/apt/sources.list and let apt do the rest.

Could you clarify for me: I've got Debian Woody 3.0 Stable (+security
patches) installed, but I need Unstable for the newer apps and libraries.
However, the old Stable version of gcc (2.95.4) is not happy with the new
(3.2?) one, and my attempt to apt-get things brought up unmet dependencies.
So is there a way around this, short of reinstalling the whole base system?
I'm sure Debian is cleverer than that!

I did try to download a DeMuDi-0.9 ISO over my superfast dial-up modem
connection (maxes out at 5KBps) which would have taken 46 hours (no
surfing all weekend!), but it stopped after only 68MB, although this may
have been to do with their domain weirdness. So I'd rather just apt-get
single packages at a time.

Sadly http://packages.debian.org/ is still down pending security checks.
Can one get most audio packages straight from DeMuDi?

Sorry if this lame newbie question seems OT, but it has for months
prevented me getting sound set up. Here's hoping Santa....

Cheers
Malcolm Smith