Re: [linux-audio-user] Gating

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Gating
From: Vescovi Christophe (christophe.vescovi_AT_wanadoo.fr)
Date: Tue Dec 30 2003 - 11:21:47 EET

John Anderson a écrit :

>I guess it's my conception of a gate that's faulty then. I thought a
>gate would have input and output for a signal, and then some other input
>to tell it when it's open and when it's closed. So if I wanted to, say,
>gate the reverb on a drum, I could have a send to a separate bus, then
>put in a reverb as the plugin on that bus. Then I could attach the
>output of the drum to the gate so that when there's an audio signal on
>the drum input, the gate would pass the reverb signal from it's input to
>its output.
>
>Is that the wrong way to think of a gate?
>
>bye
>John

Well not really, some gates can do that, but it's not usual. Usually the
gate "gate" a signal when the same signal is below a threshold.

What you need is a sidechain input. I don't think there is such a plugin
for LADSPA, a stereo expander with sidechain input could do the job, but
the SE3 does not exist yet !!

Christophe