Re: [linux-audio-user] The trouble with disks

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] The trouble with disks
From: Jan Depner (eviltwin69_AT_cableone.net)
Date: Fri Jan 02 2004 - 14:47:44 EET

On Fri, 2004-01-02 at 05:10, John Anderson wrote:

> It's been while since this thread was started, so here's a refresher on
> the box: Uniprocessor Athlon XP 2200+, 1Gb RAM, 36Gb Ultra3 SCSI
> (Adaptec 29160 with Fujitsu MAN3367 drive). MSI K7N2 Delta motherboard.
> Terratec EWS88MT soundcard. Using reiserfs as the filesystem.
>
> This is all FYI at this point. I'm going to try to get hold of a fast
> IDE disk, to see if the problem is somehow related to the SCSI subsystem
> or drivers.

This may sound strange but there have been reports of problems using
SCSI disk drives. IIRC it had something to do with the Adaptec (29160)
controllers. A really good article on SCSI vs IDE is at

http://www.prorec.com/prorec/articles.nsf/articles/1A37C1C69674D6D786256950005D2C39

Some of that article may come as a shock to hard-core SCSI fans ;-) I'm
running - 2.4.22 lowlat/preempt, uniprocessor AthlonXP 1700+, 512MB RAM,
60GB ATA 100 5400rpm Maxtor IDE disk drive (data drive only), AZZA KT3AV
KT133A Socket A motherboard, ST Audio (Hoontech) C-Port DSP2000 on IRQ
10 (not shared, IRQ 9 is unused), reiserfs. I hardly ever get any xruns
on this system so I'm pretty amazed that you're getting them. What does
your interrupt setup look like? I don't remember if we'd already
covered the interrupts before. Do lspci -vvv and make sure that you're
using IRQ 9 or 10 (or possibly 11) and it's not shared.

Jan