Re: [linux-audio-user] Audio 3-D Demo --- Any Interest in Software?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Audio 3-D Demo --- Any Interest in Software?
From: Joern Nettingsmeier (nettings_AT_folkwang-hochschule.de)
Date: Sun Jan 04 2004 - 12:27:09 EET

davidrclark_AT_earthlink.net wrote:
> Greetings Linux Audio Users.
>
> A few weeks ago, I mailed to the user list a URL regarding some audio
> software I have been working on over the past two years. For those
> who missed it:
>
> http://home.earthlink.net/~davidrclark/linux_audio_users/

seems i did :) i somehow missed the headphone processor, and only saw
the "command-line audio tools" part. i'm not interested in those because
of the problems of pipes in real-time setups.

but the headphone processor is very interesting. if it's not too much
work, i'd love to see this thing packaged. given you don't have a gui,
this shouldn't be too hard.

the effect is very nice on the demo, but then it's all synthetic sounds
- i would like to play with it myself and apply it to some recorded
material to be able to judge the sound in some more detail. it does seem
to reduce the in-head-localization effect, but it also spreads out the
signal in a rather extreme way - i wonder how it will sound with complex
  signals such orchestral music.

can it be made to work in real-time? if so, i can see the word LADSPA
written all over it :-D (which btw would save you a lot of packaging
work and all of the tedious gui stuff).

it might also be interesting for the jamin developers to take a look at
this.

please do post the source somewhere. is it documented so that the
mathematically-challenged can understand what exactly is being done, or
could you post some links to relevant material ?

best,

jörn

(btw, the linux-audio-developers list is also a very appropriate forum
for this. if you do get around to package your software, please announce
it there as well, so that technical discussions can take place on the
dev list.)

--
In this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!
	- Homer Simpson

Jörn Nettingsmeier Kurfürstenstr 49, 45138 Essen, Germany http://spunk.dnsalias.org (my server) http://www.linuxaudiodev.org (Linux Audio Developers)